It magically hit 80 degrees in Portland today folks! Did we think the day would ever come?! It feels like we’ve been perpetually stuck in winter like the “Long Night” and we’ve all been wandering around Portland like White Walkers. Game of Thrones anyone? I can’t wait until the next season premieres on July 16th!
Any who, winter has been dreadfully long and I’m ecstatic that the sun has decided to peek it’s sleepy little head out of the clouds.
On days like today the streets are buzzing, everyone is in a great mood, and there’s most certainly libations being had. This glorious weather could not be arriving at a more perfect time, because it’s CINCO DE MAYO TOMORROW!! It’s only one of my favorite days of the year!
Friday + the whole weekend ahead of us + copious amounts of guacamole + tequila = pure ecstasy 🙂
Many people get the heebie-jeebies at just the thought of bad tequila nights. For me, there’s never a bad time for tequila! And I can guarantee that a well made margarita will completely erase any hangover memories that you may have.
These Blackberry Jalapeño Margaritas are unreal guys and gals. Sweet blackberry and spicy jalapeños combine harmoniously with simple syrup to create the base of this festive cocktail. I used Altos Plata Tequila and Cointreau which are two of my absolute faves. You can always switch out blackberries with strawberries, mango, or pineapple – Anything would be delicious!
Thomas was working when I tested this recipe… so let’s just say I was happily having a fiesta all by myself 😉
Blackberry Jalapeño Margaritas
– ¾ cup tequila
– ½ cup cointreau or triple sec
– ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
– 1 cup blackberry/Jalapeño syrup – Add more or less depending on how sweet you like yours! (see recipebelow)
– fresh blackberries and lime wedges for garnish
Blackberry Jalapeno Syrup, makes 1 ½ cups
– 1 cup Sugar
– 1 cup water
– 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
– 1 large jalapeno with the seeds
– lime wedges
– Flaky salt for the rim
What to do
1) To make the syrup: Combine the sugar and water in a small pot and bring to a brief boil over medium heat.
2) Transfer the syrup to a blender and add the blackberries and the jalapeno. Blend until smooth. Pour through a fine mesh strainer into an airtight container or mason jar. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
3) To make the margaritas: Rim 4 glasses ( or two large mason jars in my case) with a lime wedge and then dip them into a dish filled with flaky salt. Upright the glasses and fill them with big ice cubes.
4) Fill a cocktail shaker with the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and 1 cup of the Blackberry Jalapeno syrup, plus a handful of ice. Shake vigorously and strain the margaritas into the prepared glasses.
5) Garnish with fresh blackberries and lime wedges.
Haha, nice GoT reference! I’m excited for the premiere too! I just so happen to have a few jalapenos in the fridge leftover from a recipe I’m trying this week so I may just have to make some spicy margaritas, too! 😉
Fun! Yes, you should definitely shake up a margarita while you’re testing out your other recipe 🙂
I"m not much for sweet drinks, but the jalepeno seems like a great way to balance that all out. Yay for the nice weather!
The jalapeño definitely cuts the sweetness and you can always add less syrup! Or just add more tequila 😉
These would be delightful with your kiwi guac. Just sayin…
What a unique combo – great in time for Cinco De Mayo
Thanks for stopping in Melissa! Yes, you should definitely try it out 🙂
A) Oh my gosh, yesterday was incredible. So needed. If only it was on a Saturday though.
B) I totally agree on counting down until GOT. C’mon HBO, this is such a tease!
C) These look incredible and so perfect for Cinco de Mayo and really any other reason for a margarita.
D) Gorgeous phots!
Thanks Erin!! I hope you enjoy the sun while it lasts 🙂
Hurray, summer weather! These margaritas look amazing. Love the combination of flavors, and it looks so cute in mason jars. 🙂
Thanks for stopping by Waz!
That sounds so fresh and summery!! I can’t wait till it’s berry picking season!
I love berry picking! We’ve only been to Sauvie Island to do that. Do you have any other suggestions of places to go?
this recent sunny weather was so awesome! margaritas + tequila don’t scare me. blackberry + jalapeno combined is a winning combination in my book, i love sweet and spicy in my adult beverages!
I want these in my life RIGHT NOW! Today is the perfect day to make them, even though the gorgeous 80 degree day is long gone.
We love a little spice in our margaritas, and these sound perfect! Looking forward to trying it out when the Marion berries are in season.