Oh, nothing to see here, just a basic avocado toast with pesto that is going to make your (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) mornings SO much better. I mean who doesn’t love avocado toast? Amiright or AMIRIGHT?
I am in full fall mode right now – Breaking out the cozy scarves, pumpkin spice coffee, and enjoying the cool 60 degree days we’ve been having in Portland. However I still can’t let summer go quite yet. I’m clinging on to the last bit of sunshine – and cherishing the last of the summer goodies. Tomato goodies to be exact. Avocado toast is a staple year round but something about adding tomatoes and pesto makes it the perfect light summer-y breakfast.
I posted our 5-Minute Basil Pesto a couple of weeks ago, and this recipe is just tweaked to make this delicious sun-dried tomato version. Crispy toast, a thick smear of pesto, thinly sliced avocado and tomato. WAM BAM THANK YOU MA’AM.
Avocado Toast with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
– 4 oz of fresh basil, stems removed
– 3 oz package of sun-dried tomatoes (the more you add the deeper the red color will be)
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 1/3 cup Parmesan
– 1/2 tsp salt (more to taste)
– Juice of quarter of a lemon
– 1/4- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
– 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)
What to do
1) Pulse all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil first to check the consistency, and then slowly blend more in as you need it.
2) This recipe is so flexible, so add a little more oil, salt, or lemon juice to your liking.
3) To assemble the toast: Toast your bread, smear a thick layer of pesto on, thinly slice your avocado and fan over your toast, and finally place your thinly sliced tomato on top and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
Note: Pine nuts can be pricey, so we don’t always use them in pesto, but they are delicious and add a sweet, nutty flavor.