If I had to pick any snack, I would choose hummus. Anytime I eat it, I also have to say “hummus, I got the hummus” like Phoebe! Where are my Friends fans at?! Normally I just pick it up in the grocery store (Trader Joe’s has a great tripled layer hummus), but I have found that it’s super quick to make at home. Plus you can add in things that you might not be able to find in store bought, like beets! Enter my new favorite summertime snack, Beet Hummus!
How fun is this color?! I think that is one of my favorite things about this recipe. It adds a pop of brightness to your table and is a fun healthy snack or appetizer to bring to a summer cookout.
So what all goes in classic hummus:
– lemon juice
– olive oil
– salt & pepper
For this recipe, I swapped out cumin for ground coriander and I added a surprise ingredient, ricotta! I know that ricotta isn’t traditional, but it gives it an extra bit of creaminess that I was looking for.
Peeling and roasting the beets first give them a great toasty flavor. The combo of the beets with the nuttiness of the tahini and chickpeas and is perfect! My favorite dippers for the hummus is sliced cucumbers, mini sweet peppers, carrot sticks, or crispy crackers.
- 3-4 small beets, peeled and quartered
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 lemons squeezed
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp salt + more to taste
- extra virgin olive oil for serving
- Preheat oven to 400. place peeled and quartered beets in foil packet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper before closing foil. Place packet on a baking sheet and roast for 30-45 minutes until a fork can pierce through the beets easily.
- In a food processor or blender, add the chickpeas, tahini, ricotta, lemon juice, garlic, coriander, and salt & pepper. Process until smooth, 1-2 minutes, adding in a little warm water if necessary to thin the mizture.
- Add in the beet chunks and continue blending until hummus is smooth
- Transfer to a bowl and top with good olive oil! Serve with crackers, pita chips, carrot sticks, cucumbers and/or mini peppers!