Normally when January hits I bring out the lettuce leaves and start eating like a rabbit which last all of 4 days – I’m all about a good healthy meal but now more than ever that I’m pregnant I want something healthyish but still filling & hearty and packed with flavor! I also want to cook with as little pans as possible AND have lots of leftovers. This recipe does ALL.OF.THAT. I make this mediterranean chicken with feta couscous at least once a month, and it makes for such a quick and easy weeknight meal. Briny olives and golden chicken thighs in a lemony cream sauce over feta herb couscous – YOU WANT THIS.
Since Thomas is away on trips quite a bit sometimes I just don’t feel like cooking an elaborate meal for just me. But with recipes like this where it’s using one pan of most of the cooking and adding in the ingredients as you go makes it seem effortless. Plus I love having the leftovers the next day! One of my biggest cravings since being pregnant has been salty pickled things… Like I can eat a whole jar of spicy peperoncino. But these olives give me that same satisfaction! You do rinse them before adding them to the pan so they are not overly salty but it is still just enough that you don’t have to add too much extra salt to the dish!
If you’re looking for more easy weeknight dishes like this mediterranean chicken I love these chickpea meatballs (if you are feeling meatless Mondays!) or maybe cozy coq au vin if you have time at home to let it simmer all day so it’s done by dinnertime!
Mediterranean Chicken with Feta Couscous
For the Mediterranean Chicken
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs (depending on how small they are - If small I use 8 so I have leftovers!)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted and rinsed
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and rinsed
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- chopped parsley, about a 1/4 cup
- salt and pepper to taste, if needed
- 1 cup israeli pearl couscous, you can also use the fine couscous
- olive oil
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- chopped parsley, about 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- salt and pepper to taste
- in a large pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil and sear chicken until golden brown on both sides. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add in the chopped onion into the pan with the chicken along with the minced garlic. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- add in the rinsed and pitted olives, lemon zest and juice, cream and chicken stock and let simmer for 15 minutes. Add in the parsley at the end, taste and add salt and pepper if necessary
- in a small pot, cook one cup of couscous according to package directions. Remove from heat, stir in a good drizzle of olive oil, a large pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper, chopped fresh parsley, and feta cheese. Stir, taste, and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- to plate, add chicken and yummy olive lemony sauce on top of couscous and enjoy!