I’ve never wanted to have brunch with friends, drink endless mimosas, and dive into this sourdough strata more that I do right now!
I made this recipe last year at this exact time in Portland. I remember you could feel Spring in the air and the streets were buzzing with people finally out and about after months of rain. How crazy and different that scenario is this year…
We are still enjoying the beginning burst of Spring sunshine from our balcony as much as we can and going on walks at least to get out and about. Restaurants are starting to open up for outside seating little by little. I’m so hopeful that this pandemic will come to and end soon so I can happily bake as many strata’s as possible and invite the masses over for brunch. The mimosas will be flowing I’ll tell you that!
I’m so curious what people have been doing in their kitchens during this quarantine. Are you guys cooking everyday or are you keeping it simple? I feel like I’m definitely getting more creative with pantry staples since we’re not going to the store as much and it’s been fun in that sense!
I will say I’ve felt a major creative block and just haven’t felt like cooking much or doing photo shoots. Isn’t it crazy when we have so much time on our hands it sends us into a tailspin of sorts?!
Anywho, I’m craving good food and to get back on the blog train so I wanted to share one of my favorite breakfast dishes! Strata’s are eggier than their bread pudding sibling and such a good dish when you’re serving brunch, or if you want to make a big batch for yourself and have leftovers for the week, I wouldn’t blame you! This Sourdough spring strata uses cubes of sourdough to soak up all of the creamy egg goodness, loaded with lots of bright Spring veggies, and dolloped with goat cheese! So delicious plus can be prepared beforehand and kept in the fridge, so you can simply throw it in the oven in the morning and sip your coffee in peace ☕️ If you’re looking for some other good brunch ideas for this weekend turkish eggs, sweet potato eggs benny, or spring veggie mini quiches are all good options!
Spring Sourdough Strata
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, white and pale parts only finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1/2 cup spring peas
- 6 oz chopped spinach
- 16 oz crusty sourdough, cut into cubes stale bread is even better!
- 8 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- If you’re planning to bake this immediately, preheat the oven to 350ºf. if you’re prepping this the day before, no need to preheat now
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add leek and garlic and cook, stirring, until just starting to soften. Add asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and cook until crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes. Toss in peas and spinach right at the end and give it a good stir and let cook another minute or two until spinach starts to wilt.
- Combine the sourdough cubes and spring veggie mixture in a 9” x 13” casserole dish or something large enough to bake the mixture.
- in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, mustard, a large pinch of salt, and a bunch of turns of pepper. Pour into the dish on top of the sourdough mixture. top with crumbled goat cheese. cover with foil and bake immediately or refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- bake (at 350fº) bake strata until egg is cooked through to center, about 35 minutes. Enjoy!