I know Mondays are meant for starting the week off right being all healthy and all…but I could not wait to share these spicy fried chicken sliders! Using Cholula Hot Sauce, these sliders pack the perfect amount of heat and will satisfy all of your spicy cravings. Growing up in the south fried chicken is something you eat on the reg – it’s just the way of life. I’m not one to crave fried chicken all that often these days, but now that I have this recipe in my back pocket I’m afraid I’m going to want to make it way more often. Being from Norway, Thomas had never made anything fried before at home, so I knew we needed to change that quick! With the Super Bowl coming up, these little guys are perfect to make for your SB party. Can you believe it’s already the Super Bowl we’re at the end of January?! OUR WEDDING IS IN TWO MONTHS!! So crazy. It’s going to go even faster because we’re going with my company to the Dominican Republic for a week in Mid-February, then I’m in one of my best friend’s weddings March 10th, and at last it’s our wedding on March 31st!! It’s going to be a whirlwind but I can’t wait!
So with that being said, I’m back on the ‘wedding diet’ for the rest of the week. Whomp whommmp. But you can bet your britches that I savored every last crumb of these sliders this weekend and washed it down with a cold brewski. It’s all about balance right? 🙂
Spicy Fried Chicken Sliders
For the chicken
– 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs (2 pieces per person)
– 1 tsp mustard powder
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tsp onion powder
– 1 tsp cayenne pepper
– 1 tsp pepper
– 2 tablespoons kosher salt
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 cups whole milk
– 2 tablespoons Cholula, or any other hot sauce you love
– Vegetable oil for frying
– Hawaiian dinner rolls or slider buns
– Meat Thermometer
For the glaze
– 1/4 cup of honey
– 3 tablespoons of hot sauce
– 1 tsp cayenne pepper
– 1/2 cup mayo
– 1 garlic clove
– 1 tablespoon hot sauce
– I used a bagged mix of cabbage, kale, and Brussels but you could just use shredded cabbage or Cole slaw mix!
– 1/2 cup bread and butter pickle slices, 1/4 cup of pickle juice
What to do
- Season the chicken: In a mixing bowl, combine the Kosher salt, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and pepper. Toss the chicken in the spice blend to make sure they are evenly coated.
- Whisk the milk and hot sauce together in a medium-size bowl.
- Batter the chicken: In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture and shake off any excess.
- Next, dip the flour-coated chicken pieces in the bowl containing the milk and hot sauce, shaking off any excess liquid. Return the chicken to the flour mixture and roll to coat evenly. Shake again.
- Fry the chicken: Heat the oil to 350ºF in a large cast iron pot or deep fryer if you have one. Set a wire rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- Working in batches, lower the chicken pieces into the hot oil and fry until golden and crisp. While the chicken is frying, mix all of the ingredients together for the glaze. Remove the chicken from the oil and transfer to the rack to drain and brush the glaze all over each chicken piece.
- While the chicken is cooling, mix your ingredients for your spicy mayo.
- In a separate bowl, add your slaw, pickles, and pickle juice and stir to combine.
- Place your Hawaiian rolls on a baking sheet, brush with butter or olive oil and place under the broiler until golden.
- To assemble, smear spicy mayo on the bottom of your roll, top with chicken, next add your slaw and another smear of spicy mayo on the top bun!